What is Marijuana tincture?
A cannabis tincture is a great smokeless way of consuming cannabis, avoiding the pitfalls of smoking while still creating a blissful buzz. Here is what they are and how to make one!
Many cannabis-lovers may not have heard about this, but you can make your marijuana into a tincture with alcohol quite easily. That's right - with alcohol! They may seem like complete opposites, but rest reassured, they work together brilliantly here.
This is a great method of smokeless consumption, which has a lot of benefits over other ways of consuming cannabis. The cannabis tincture is also known by the name of "green dragon”, and its use ins nothing new - before prohibition, this was the most popular form of cannabis medicine. Although it is still underrated, now in the days of ever-growing legalization throughout the world, it is making its way back onto the shelves and into the homes of cannabis-friendly people.
HOW TO MAKE A CANNABIS TINCTURE
Like said above, making a cannabis tincture is not that difficult - you will only need a few tools to do it.
2. Put your prepared flower or extract into a mason jar and mix it with pure grain alcohol (at least 90% proof). The minimum ratio you want is 1g of flower per 35ml of alcohol. Some people use roughly 6g per 35ml for a truly potent tincture, but it is better to start small and gauge effect before trying this.
The alcohol is needed to separate the cannabinoids from the plant material; it allows the cannabinoids to bind to it.
3. Let the mixture sit for at least a few weeks up to 2 months. Store it in a dry place and shake it gently once a day. The right amount of time is still up for debate. It will likely need a few tries to make the tincture that's best for you.
4: After the soaking period, you should be left with a green, cannabis-infused alcohol. Strain the mixture and put it in a dark brown medicine bottle with a dropper lid. In doing so, you will keep your cannabinoids safely stored, and the dropper will make for easy dosing.
Now you can store your tincture in a cool and dark place. It should last a very long time without losing potency.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to use alcohol, you can use vegetable glycerine. However, it takes longer for cannabinoids to bond to this, and will need at least 2 months of storage.
DOSAGE AND EFFECT
A cannabis tincture is one of the best ways of consuming your cannabis. You can either taken as a few drops under your tongue, or infused in drink and food. If you need some inspiration for some tasty recipes to infuse, we have a few cannabis edibles recipes you may be interested in.
When you take your tincture sublingually (under the tongue) start with a drop or two. This needs to be held under the tongue for a few minutes before swallowing. The membrane under the tongue is thin, and allows a portion of the cannabinoids to pass through into the bloodstream. As such, the effects should start kicking in after 15-45 minutes. In contrast, it can take up to 90 minutes when you eat or drink something marijuana-infused, as it must pass through the digestive system. Once you have felt how it affects you, you can adjust dose accordingly to get to where you need to be.
THE BENEFITS OVER OTHER CONSUMPTION METHODS
If you are still not convinced with the marijuana tincture, here are some of the advantages:
1. It has low calories! Compared to typical pot brownies, a tincture has very little to it in ways of calories. This is good when you have to watch your weight but still want to ingest cannabis products.
2. It's discreet - just drip a drop anywhere you like! You don't have to hide or look for a place to smoke.
3. It's fast - 15-45 minutes until the effects will be noticed! With edibles or drinkables, you will have to wait twice the amount of time. Furthermore, the dosage is more controllable.
4. It's potent - the high will peak more rapidly and will also last longer! Smoking or vaporizing the same quantity of marijuana simply can't achieve this. Only edibles can have a longer-lasting effect.
5. Unlike isolate extractions, a cannabis tincture "entourage effect"! The "green dragon" also contains a lot of chlorophyll too (hence the name), which also has plenty of beneficial properties. It is a powerful antioxidant, suppresses appetite and cleanses your cells.
So, have fun with this alternative method of consuming marijuana! Despite its lack of ritual, such as rolling a joint or having a vape session, it should not be underestimated. Try it and see for yourself!