How to make a QWISO extract?
If you have finished growing, drying and curing, it is time to consume it. There are many ways to consume marijuana, one of them being vaporizing.
First of all, what is a QWISO (Quick-Wash ISOpropyl) extract? Cannabis buds consist of two main parts – plant material and, what I like to call, “effective material”, which gives all the desired effects from consuming it. In other words, plant material is more or less useless. An extract (also called concentrate, shatter, wax, oil, budder) basically contains only the desired “effective material”, and is intended for many uses, but mainly for vaporizing.
Making extracts isn’t as difficult as you may think, just requires some patience. There are several different methods for making high-quality extracts (other popular being BHO, but it is way more dangerous and complex due to usage of highly flammable butane, so I will stick to QWISO method).
Items you will need:
- Buds, at very least 5 grams of it, though the more the better (10-20 grams is optimal).
- A grinder.
- Coffee filters (unbleached).
- Isopropyl alcohol, the purer, the better, 99% recommended. Isopropyl alcohol is also called rubbing alcohol. You can get it from hardware or electronics stores. You will need around 100 - 200 ml of it per 10 grams of buds.
- A sieve (for filtering chunky plant material). Or 2 sieves – one smaller and one as large as possible, if you’re making over 10 grams.
- A plate or other flat ceramic or glass surface (note: it must be quite deep, since you will be pouring quite a lot of liquid there).
- 1 small jar (up to 0.5 litre) and 1 larger jar (0.5-1 litre should be enough).
- A small razor blade for gathering the extract.
- (optional, but highly recommended) a simple air-blowing fan.
Preparations to be made at least 3 hours before the extraction:
First of all, make sure all containers (both jars and a plate) are really clean and totally dry (you want them totally clean, since the unwanted material might get into the extract, causing you problems later trying to remove it, and you want them dry, since water evaporation takes way longer than alcohol).
Firstly grind up all your buds into the small jar (ground buds have larger surface area, so it is easier to extract all the goods from them that way). Then put that jar and your alcohol into a freezer for a few hours or just overnight to make sure they’re as cold as possible (don’t worry, isopropyl freezes only at -89 C). Freezing is necessary, since trichromes fall off the leaves of the bud way more easily at low temperatures, making the extraction significantly more successful. Extracting without freezing results in smaller amounts of the final product.
You may also want to prepare your larger jar to save time later: take 1 coffee filter and put it onto your jar making sort of a bag (note: I used some thread to make sure the filter doesn’t fall into the jar), or, if you are making lots of extraction, cover entire surface of your larger sieve with filters and place smaller sieve on top of it.
Once alcohol and material are both as cold as possible:
Pour alcohol into the small jar till all the ground buds are submerged in it. Close the lid very tightly and shake it as hell for exactly 30 seconds (more might result in more chlorophyll extracted, making the final product taste not as good, less might result in smaller amounts of the extract).
Then pour everything through a sieve and through a filter into a jar (you may press the ground material in the first sieve to make it sieve though a bit faster). Yes, this part will be very slow, you will need patience, filtering might take 20-60 minutes. Pour a little extra alcohol into the small jar to make sure there are no left-over trichromes remaining in it and pour that though the filters as well.
How does this work? Cannabinoids dissolve in alcohol (for example, it doesn’t dissolve in water, so we can’t use that) leaving behind “powerless” plant material of buds. Sieve filters the chunky plant material and filter further refines the liquid by removing the tiniest bits of remaining plant (you have to use sieve for chunky parts, since using only a filter will cause it to clog very fast and filtering process might take hours). Since all cannabinoids are dissolved, they are in a liquid state at this point. Coffee filter allows all liquids to pass through it but stopping any solid particles.
Once filtering is over, you will be left with a jar containing a clear liquid with a green tint. You might ask, where the hell is my concentrate then? It is dissolved into that alcohol, we need to remove the alcohol now.
Pour jar’s contents into the plate or any other flat-surfaced container you have chosen. Pour a little extra alcohol into the jar to again make sure you don’t leave any trichromes in it. If you have a fan, then set it to blow into the liquid at lowest setting. Important notice: make sure you leave the evaporating alcohol in a garage/basement/a ventilated area, since you will be evaporating all the alcohol you used, which is flammable and slightly toxic. The evaporation might take between 12 and 24 hours.
Once the evaporation is complete (there are not even the slightest traces of any liquid on the plate), grab your razor blade and a chosen container for storing the concentrate and gather up from the surface. I used a toothpick to remove gathered material from blade into a container.
That’s all. Just clean up and you’re all done. You should be left with some really nice gooey and sticky extract.
- Q1: All tools I used are sticky! How am I supposed to use them now?
- A1: Just clean them with a bit of alcohol.
- Q2: Just that much from 10 grams? Isn’t it a waste?
- A2: No, since you just collect all the active material. Basically, that’s all 10 grams, just greatly concentrated (it should contain at least 70% THC).
- Q3: How many grams will I get?
- A3: Depends on the strain you use. In my case, 10 grams of Special Queen 1 resulted in 2.08 grams of concentrate.
- Q4: What’s the point of this extract? Why not just smoke buds?
- A4: Vaporizing has many benefits over smoking. And in order to use majority of vaporizers, you need concentrates.
Written By: Silencer